Text Coming Soon!
The Tenth Street Bridge, which connected New Brighton to Beaver Falls, was opened in 1890 and primarily built to carry the streetcars of the Riverview Line. It took it’s name from its terminus at Tenth Street (now 13th Avenue) in New Brighton. On the Beaver Falls side it connected to Fourth Street. It was opened as a toll bridge but when the county purchased it in 1896 the toll was lifted. The Riverview Line was later merged into the Beaver Valley Traction Company and ended service across the bridge in about 1924. The bridge was refurbished as a automobile bridge and reopened in the fall of 1926. It was in service until it was closed in 1978. It was razed sometime in c2000. The adjacent dam was originally built for water power in 1826 and incorporated into the Beaver & Erie Canal in 1831. The dam was rebuilt in 1869 with a 20-foot waterfall (known as the middle falls). The canal closed in 1870’s and the dam was later utilized to generate electric power for several nearby plants. (1904) Full Size
(1905) Full Size
(1909) Full Size
(c1916) Full Size
There are currently no comments on this article.