Text Coming Soon!
In the early 1950’s the Tree of Life congregation decided to build a larger synagogue and acquired property on Beatty Street next to the Ewing Park Bridge. This old church (shown above) was sold in the early 1950’s and served as a house for worship for other religious groups for many years. It currently sits vacant. (Aug 2015) Full Size
The cornerstone of the old synagogue/church. (Aug 2015)
The old building along Wayne Avenue sits abandoned at this time. (Aug 2015)
Standing behind the old building and looking northward on 7th Street. (Aug 2015) Full Size
The new Tree of Life Synagogue (shown above) on Beatty Street was dedicated during ceremonies held on May 20-23, 1954. It was the center of the Jewish community in Ellwood City for many years. In the 1980’s, with dwindling attendance, it was sadly decided to close the synagogue. It was closed in about 1988 and donated to the Ellwood City Hospital in January 1989. The hospital renovated and reopened it about a year later as the Tree of Life Wellness Center, a health education and fitness center. (Oct 2014) Full Size
(Oct 2014) Full Size
There are currently no comments on this article.