Text Coming Soon!
George D. Blair Sr., an executive with the Elliott-Blair Company, sold his interest in the business in April 1923 and left to establish – with his son George D. Blair Jr. – the Blair Strip Steel Company. A plant, which produced sheets of cold rolled steel, was erected on Butler Avenue (at Cascade Street) and was put into operation in August 1924. Blair initially sold most of its product to the automobile industry. Operations were halted after a serious fire damaged the plant in October 1930. A new steel plant, which was under construction for several years, was put in operation in early 1931. Although business was slow the company survived the Great Depression, and then shifted its production to support the military effort during World War II. George D. Blair Jr. served as President from 1928-1949 and was succeeded by his son Thomas S. Blair from 1949-1984. The company, now headed by Bruce A. Kinney, is still in business today. In 2010 a subsidiary known as BelleFlex, which produces disc springs, was opened in Armstrong County. (Aug 2015) Full Size
The Blair Strip Steel plant at the intersection of Butler Avenue (at bottom) and Cascade Street. (c2012)