Text Coming Soon!
A two-room schoolhouse (shown above) was built, possibly in the 1860’s, in Edinburg to serve the local children. In early 1912 officials from Mahoning Township planned to build a new school for the local students, but it was to be located just north of the Mahoning River. Parents were angry because that meant children from Edinburg would now have to walk across the Edinburg Bridge and railroad tracks to reach the school. A legal battle ensued and the local residents were victorious in an effort to establish the Edinburg Independent School District in September 1912. The old school (serving grades 1-8) remained in use for many years until it was closed in July 1961. At that time the local school system was merged into the newly established Union Area School District – and local students from Edinburg started attending classes in Union Township. (c1910) Full Size
The old schoolhouse was demolished in late May 2016 to make way for the new World War II Veterans Memorial. (2014)
There are currently no comments on this article.