Text Coming Soon!
In June 1946 former U.S. Army Air Forces (AAF) pilot Frank J. Farone (1915-1996), a pharmacist by trade, was authorized to build a training field for pilots in Shenango Township. The small airfield, located along the New Castle-Ellwood Road, was known as “Port Shenango” and opened in October 1947. The airfield was in operation just a short while before being closed by early 1950. Farone went on to have a longtime connection with the New Castle Airport in Union Township, and eventually served on the board of the New Castle Airport Authority from 1970-1985. The former airport site in Shenango Township was converted into a school athletic field (as shown above) in 1953. Several years later the property was acquired to became the home of the Lawrence Village Plaza, a shopping center that opened in 1961. (1958) Full Size
There are currently no comments on this article.