Text Coming Soon!
The original railroad single-track bridge across the mouth of the Connoquenessing Creek at Rock Point. It was built by the NB&NC in c1883, though some reports say as early as 1874. The stones for the piers were taken from a lock on the abandoned Beaver & Erie Canal. Rock Point Park, a popular amusement park, was located just nearby. This bridge was replaced with a double-track span by the PY&A/PRR in 1903-04. (c1895) Full Size
In this c1905 postcard a train affiliated with the PYA/PRR crosses the new railroad bridge at Rock Point west of Ellwood City. In the distance, across the Beaver River, the tracks of the P&LE can be seen running along the shore. Full Size
The double-track bridge at Rock Point built in 1903-1904. (1911) Full Size
Trains of the Norfolk Southern Railway (NS) still pass over this old bridge today. (Jul 2011)
Remnants of an old narrow gauge track as still visible, which seems odd as most reports indicate this newer bridge was built to carry twin standard gauge tracks. Apparently, it initially carried at least one narrow gauge track. (Jul 2011)
An aerial view of the old railroad bridge at Rock Point, located where the Connoquenessing Creek (top of photo) runs into the Beaver River. (c2010) Full Size
There are currently no comments on this article.