Text Coming Soon!
The 50-foot-long Skyhill Road Bridge, spanning the waters of Coffee Run, was built on the Hughes Farm by the F.S. Wilson Company of Kittaning (for $2,965) in the summer of 1917. Over the years it became a legend that it was haunted by the mysterious “bridge people,” who lived under the structure and if bothered would seek you out. The graffiti-laden bridge was also referred to by many other names, including the Puerto Rican Bridge due to young Latinos being the first to “tag” the bridge with spray paint art. Other names the span was known by include the Graffiti Bridge, Frankenstein Bridge, Ghost Bridge, and Hookman’s Bridge. The bridge was a part of Zombie Land, an area around Hillsville that is steeped in legend and lore. The aging structure was closed in late July 2013 and torn down. A new concrete span opened in late 2013. (Jul 2013) (Photos courtesy of Anna Marie Zokle Criss) Full Size
The old graffiti-laden structure was closed and torn down beginning in July 2013. A new concrete span (shown above), which has none of the flair of its predecessor, was opened later that year. (Apr 2014) Full Size
(Apr 2014) Full Size
There are currently no comments on this article.